Monday, February 14, 2011

My thoughts on Valentine's Day and my Husband

Valentine's Day..... Chocolates, Flowers, Cards, Jewelry. While I had a wonderful day with my husband and children (and my Mom who is in town for the week), I have to be honest and say that it is not one of my most favorite holidays. While I love the idea of spending a day telling those you love how much you love them, I don't think you should only do this on Valentine's Day. I guess I feel like I would rather my husband bring me flowers just because he loves me, and not because a day on the calendar says he should. And lets be honest, if he brought me flowers on any other day of the year he would pay about half the price ;o) ! At any rate, since I have the most awesome husband I wanted to do something special that let him know how much I love him. So, I made him this video:



When I sat down to make this video I thought to myself, "This video is 3 minutes long. How in the world am I going to find 3 minutes worth of reasons that I love my husband?" But the thing was I actually needed a way longer video!! Anyone who know my husband will tell you what a great husband he is to me, and a great dad he is to our children, but there are truly SO MANY things I love about it. After almost 14 years of marriage, I can easily say I love him more now, than I did on the day I married him. We have so many memories together..some good, some not so good, but either way they are part of our history. They are what make us the couple we are.

I remember shortly after I was married, I had a friend who was single ask me about being married. I told her that I thought being married was like having a slumber party with your best friend every night. And while our lives have changed a lot since then (His job is more demanding, we have added a couple children, and we have lots more responsibilites) I still pretty much feel that same way. I look forward to our time together every day. We put the kids to bed, and then the rest of the evening is ours. Sometimes we do something really fun, but most of the time we just hang out watching TV and talking, and it is my favorite part of the day.

Is being married always easy? No. I heard Dr. Gary Chapman say once that love is a choice, not a feeling. And I believe this to be true. I wake up each day and make a choice to love my husband that day. Most days this is a very easy choice. Some days this is a tough choice, and I have to really pray for God to give me that love (which He always does). On those days I also have to remind myself that I am not always the easiest to love either, and that I am sure my husband prays A LOT ;o) !

So, basically on this day I want to say how thankful I am for the wonderful husband that I have, and how I cannot imagine my life without him in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment