Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pretty Moon Pies


Who doesn't love a Moon Pie and an RC Cola?? Okay, honestly I do not care much for Moon Pies, and I had never heard of Moon Pies and RC Colas together until I made these for my sons preschool a couple years ago. But at any rate, if you like Moon Pies you will love these. Even if you don't like Moon Pies you will probably like them (if not for eating, just for looking at, because they are super cute!).

I have to be honest and give credit where credit is due...My Mom actually taught me how to make these, and I am pretty sure that she got the idea from Southern Living, but they are too cute not to share.

I have made these quite a few times, and every people rave about how cute they are. The nice thing is that they can be decorated for any occasion by switching out your decorations. I have made them for Christmas (as seen), Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, and as party goodies for one of my son's birthdays. Covered with a clear wrap and tied with a matching ribbon (sorry I don't have a picture of this) they look great.

Now let me tell you how simple they are to make. You just take a moon pie (the big ones work best, but you could use the smaller one also) and stick in a long lollipop stick. You then melt down the Wilton colored chocolate melts (these can be bought at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or any cake baking store) in whatever color(s) you want to use. You want to melt them in a candy decorating bottle (which can also be bought at said stores). Once the candy is melted you simple drizzle the chocolate over the moon pies in whatever pattern you want, and stick your candy on (using the melted chocolate). Then you simply let them dry and cover and wrap. So simple, but so pretty!





1 comment:

  1. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents growing up and one of the things we used to do is drive down to southern Kentucky (around the Lake Cumberland area) and spend weekends visiting with all their family there. That's where I first learned to eat Moon Pies. It became a tradition with us because for the longest time that's the only place we would find them. I always ate the yellow ones I think they were butterscotch. Man, this brings back great memories.

    ReplyDelete